November/December 4-H Newsletter
Greetings from Warren County 4-H!
I hope that this Newsletter finds you and your families all well as we enter the 2010 Holiday Season! We have a lot of exciting programs and events coming up and I hope that you all have time to read through the newsletter to see what’s going on with Warren County 4-H. Happy Holidays and thank you for your continued support!
Volunteer Leader’s Association
The next Warren County 4-H Volunteer Leader’s Association Meeting will be held on Monday, January 24, 2011. Please make plans to attend this first meeting of the new calendar year!
*As a reminder, Volunteer Leader meetings are always held on the 4th Monday of the month at 6:00 p.m.. The full list of dates for 2011 is as follows: January 24, February 28, March 28, April 25, May 23, No meetings in June or July, August 22, September 26, October 24, and November 28. There is no meeting in December due to the Banquet and the Holidays.
Parent’s Afternoon Out!
Do you need to do some last minute Christmas shopping for the kids in your family? Why not sign them up for the Warren County 4-H Holiday Blast and they can have fun while you finish up the last of your holiday errands! This fun program for youth ages 5 and up will be held from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 22nd here at the Warren County Extension Office. Youth will watch Christmas movies, make crafts, and play games that will make you jealous that you didn’t get to stay and hang out too! Cost is $10 per child and includes all supplies, snacks and a pizza dinner. Spaces are limited to the first 12 youth who sign up and the registration deadline is next Friday, December 17th.
North Central District Teen Events
- The North Central District is hosting an event for teens in the District on Saturday, January 8th in Alamance County. WinterFest will include a selection of several fun and educational workshops geared towards teens as well as a fun trip to a bowling alley and arcade! Youth ages 11 and up are invited to attend and the cost for the day including bowling, lunch, and snacks is only $15! Transportation will be provided from the Warren County Extension Office for the first 6 youth who sign up. Registration deadline is Thursday, December 30, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. Contact Erin with any questions.
- North Central District Teen Retreat will be Friday-Saturday March 18-19, 2011 at the Betsy-Jeff Penn 4-H Center in Reidsville. Details about cost and schedule will be publicized when available.
2011 4-H Scholarships
4-H Scholarship applications will be due to Erin January 7, 2011. Graduating Seniors who have participated in 4-H are eligible for many opportunities through the North Carolina 4-H Scholarship funds. More information about available scholarships can be found online here: http://www.nc4h.org/youth/awards.html or by contacting Erin.
2011 North Carolina 4-H Volunteer Leaders Conference
The North Carolina 4-H Volunteer Leaders Conference will be held the weekend of February 4-6, 2011 in Raleigh. Early-Bird Registration is typically due around the 3rd week of January and is around $100 (not including lodging). This is a GREAT learning opportunity for all 4-H volunteers and I would encourage all of you to consider attending for your personal and professional development. Let me know if you are interested and I will pass along registration information/specifics to you as soon as they become available.
Turning in Project/Cumulative Record Books!
All project/cumulative record books for last year’s projects MUST be turned in to the 4-H
Office by Friday, February 4, 2011. Project Record books that are being turned in should cover 4-H projects worked on during the calendar year 2010. Please contact me AS AP with any questions about 4-H Project/Cumulative Records.
2010-2011 4-H Enrollment Forms
If you have not already turned in annual 4-H Enrollment forms for the youth in your family/club, please do so ASAP. We have to have new forms of file for each 4-Her every year. Let me know if you need copies of the form or have any questions.
2011 Four County 4-H Livestock Show and Sale
For those of you who are not already aware, the 2011 Four County 4-H Livestock Show and Sale has been changed from an April show to be held in September. We are hoping that this change will allow more youth to participate as well as to have more time to find/choose/work with their livestock prior to the show. Any families/youth interested in participating in the 2011 Four County Show should mark their calendars for Tuesday, April 12th for an Orientation meeting. At this meeting we will share any additional changes to the show rules and educational project as well as have a Livestock workshop.
For additional information about the show please contact Erin or visit our website.
Summer 4-H Camp!
Camp is an awesome fun and educational experience for youth ages 8-14! Warren County 4-H is going to Betsy-Jeff Penn 4-H Camp, Reidsville, NC during the week of June 26 – July 21, 2011. Spaces are limited and we are currently accepting early-bird registration. To guarantee your child(ren) a spot at camp this year you must pay a non-refundable deposit of $75 per child by Friday, January 28, 2011. The total cost of camp can be paid in installments from now until June or paid online with a credit card. Don’t wait, because camp spaces go SUPER fast!
Area 4-H Poultry Show
The Area 4-H Poultry Show and Auction was held on Thursday, November 4th in Louisburg. Youth participants from Warren County showed New Hampshire Red and Buff Orpington chickens along with others from Vance, Granville, and Franklin counties. All youth did an excellent job and will receive checks for ½ of the amount that their chickens sold for at auction. Additional awards are listed below. The following youth participated in the show:
- Elben Mulchi – 1st Place Senior (16-18) Record Book
Information/Dates for the 2011 Area Poultry Show and Sale:
- Tuesday, February 8th at the Vance County Extension Office: Open Planning Meeting
- Thursday, February 17th at the Warren County Extension Office: Interest Meeting - All youth and families who may be interested in learning more about the Poultry project are encouraged to attend this event. This is for both returning and brand new participants and will provide a great deal of information about what the Poultry project is and why you should consider participating!
- Friday, March 18th: Poultry Show Entry Forms due
- Friday, March 25th: Poultry Workshop for those who sign up – A specialist from NCSU will conduct a workshop to teach youth and families how to prepare for their chicks arrival and care for them up until the show.
Attention Teens – AIRE Program Information
The North Carolina 4-H AIRE program is designed for teens to get experience that will help them immensely in their future endeavors for college, scholarships, and the workplace. This program also allows youth to be considered for National 4-H Awards trips throughout the year. The program consists of four parts; Application, Resume, Interview, and Essay. I will be doing a training for anyone interested in this program on March 29, 2011 from 6-8 p.m. at the Extension Office. The deadline for submission of AIRE portfolios to the 4-H Office is May 6th. (*please note – this will also be the deadline for Ambassador portfolios)
4-H Honor Club Applications
Youth who have been heavily involved in 4-H should consider applying to be a member of the North Carolina 4-H Honor Club. This is a very prestigious group and membership is only granted to ½ of 1% of the total membership of North Carolina 4-H each year. Membership in the North Carolina 4-H Honor Club is bestowed upon those 4-H’ers who have exhibited outstanding 4-H citizenship and leadership throughout their 4-H career. An Honor Club member continues to provide leadership and service to the total 4-H program throughout life. For more information about Honor Club or to obtain an application, please contact Erin or visit the NC 4-H website. Applications must be turned in to Erin by January 7, 2011.
Warren County 4-H Night with the Hurricanes?
For those of you who don’t know, I am a big hockey fan and she loves any opportunity to head down to Raleigh to see our Carolina Hurricanes take the ice. If anyone would be interested in a 4-H planned trip to see an NHL game, please contact me by the end of January so that I can begin the process of planning something before the end of the 2010-2011 season. I’m estimating that the cost would be approximately $25 per person including tickets, transportation, and some form of food/beverage package at the game.
We all use technology more and more in our daily lives, and 4-H and Cooperative Extension are no exception! We’re trying to become more efficient in our communications with our 4-H members, volunteers, and other stakeholders in the community and would like to update our e-mail lists. If you have an e-mail address that you are willing to share (and check regularly!) please send me a message at email@example.com so that I can add you to my list. Also please check out our Facebook and Twitter pages if you use those social networking sites.
4-H Curriculum Guides
Curriculum Guides to aid 4-H members in selecting and completing their 4-H Projects for the year are available in the 4-H Office or for order. 4-H Volunteers may come to the 4-H Office to browse through the available curriculum here or obtain a list of curriculum available for order. National 4-H Curriculum is available in 54 different categories that range from Animal Science to Robotics and everywhere in between. If ordering books that are not on hand in the 4-H office, the 4-Her is responsible for payment, but discounts are sometimes available and typically no book costs over $5.00. 4-H Project curricula is also available online for some projects. Contact Erin for more information at 257-3640 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
It’s NEVER too early!
As we approach the New Year, please start thinking about the many ways you can become more involved in 4-H throughout the next year. Warren County will be continuing to do many of the same programs that we have been doing as well as encouraging youth to participate in many other 4-H Activities. Please consider the many programs that youth may want to participate in during 2011.
New events and programs are always happening – Please read your newsletters each and watch for updates in the Warren Record and on our website(s).
2011 Dates and Deadlines:
- December 30, 2010 – Deadline to sign up for North Central District Teen WinterFest
- January 10, 2011 – Deadline for 4-H Scholarship and Honor Club Applications to be in County 4-H Office
- Feburary 4, 2011 – 4-H Project/Cumulative Records Books Due to County 4-H Office
- February 4-6, 2011 - North Carolina 4-H Volunteer Leaders Annual Conference in Raleigh
- March 18-19, 2011 – North Central District Teen Retreat at Betsy-Jeff Penn
- April 1-6, 2011 – Project/Cumulative Record Book Judging in Raleigh – Volunteers Welcome
- April 15, 2011 – Deadline for 4-H Agents to register youth for 4-H Electric Congress
- May 6, 2011 – Deadline for 4-H Ambassador Portfolios and AIRE applications to the County 4-H Office
- June 13-15, 2011 – 4-H Citizenship North Carolina Focus
- June 21, 2011 – North Central District Activity Day (Randolph County)
- June 26-July 1, 2011 – 4-H Camp week at Betsy-Jeff Penn
- July 11-13, 2011 – 4-H Electric Congress
- July 18-21, 2011 – 4-H Congress (State Presentations Tuesday 7/19)
- September 9, 2011 – Four County 4-H Livestock Show (tentative)
- November 10, 2011 – Area 4-H Poultry Show (tentative)