September Is National Preparedness Month-Are You Prepared?
September has been proclaimed as North Carolina’s National Preparedness Month. This September,National Preparedness Month (NPM) will focus on planning, with an overarching theme “Disasters Don’t Plan Ahead. You Can.”
We should all take action to prepare! We are all able to help first responders in our community by training how to respond during an emergency and what to do when disaster strikes — where we live, work, and visit. The goal of NPM is to increase the overall number of individuals, families, and communities that engage in preparedness actions at home, work, business, school, and place of worship.
2017 Weekly Themes
Week 1: September 1-9 Make a Plan for Yourself, Family and Friends
Week 2: September 10-16 Plan to Help Your Neighbor and Community
Week 3: September 17-23 Practice and Build Out Your Plans
Week 4: September 24-30 Get Involved! Be a Part of Something Larger
With Hurricane Irma approaching do you have an Emergency Preparedness Kit prepared for you and your family?
What to put in your Emergency Preparedness Kit:
- Water-1 gallon per person per day (a week’s supply is better)
- Non-perishable foods, such as canned goods, granola bars, nuts, dried fruit, and cereal
- No-electric can opener
- First aid kit and medicines
- Baby supplies, toys, books, games
- Food, water, leash and carrier for pets
- Flashlight, portable radio, batteries
- Cash and change
- Extra pair of eyeglasses
- Extra set of house and car keys
- Change of clothes, sturdy shoes
- Blanket or sleeping bag
- Anti-bacterial hand wipes or gel
- Personal hygiene articles: toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, etc…
- Fire Extinguisher-ABC type
- Important papers: identification, insurance, bank information, will etc…
For more emergency preparedness information visit http://ReadyNC.org or download the free ReadyNC mobile app.
For more information from the NC Disaster Information Center click here https://ncdisaster.ces.ncsu.edu